It was so hard to choose this month’s shop critique winner! But in the end, Kelly of KB Cake Shop and her drool-worthy photos won our hearts and taste buds. We hope this little critique will help her make hundreds of cake eaters happier on their special occasion.
Things we loved about the site:
- A truly gorgeous landing page with a nice slideshow that displays your full range of products.
- An elegant background and logo that go well together.
- Cohesive branding through the site. Soft, neutral colors.
- Tagline! “At KB Cake Shop, we believe the best idea is your idea!”
- Gorgeous photography of the finished cakes. In all honesty, you had us craving a slice.
Things we would tweak:
- Your about page, no matter what your business, is almost your second most-visited page so we would definitely move it to the second tab spot in your navigation bar.
- Pricing is definitely going to be the second thing people look at after your cakes so we’d move your pricing tab ahead of your contact. This might also cut down on your emails since people will see the information on pricing and flavors BEFORE your contact tab.
- Your background is gorgeous! But it can make reading the thin, black, sans serif font hard. What about a partially transparent white box behind the wording so that it pops out a bit more? Some of your customers may be planning their weddings and trying to show the pricing page to their tri-focaled grandma.
- When it comes to weddings, it’s all about the total environment. Some of your fondant pieces are photographed outside on wood or white dishes. But when your customers use them, they’ll be on stunning cakes or on lavish tables! By showing your work in its environment (in-use), it’s easier for your customer to envision how it will look at their own special event.
- Speaking of photos, we’d LOVE to see some photos of your cakes at actual weddings. What does the finished work look like at the cake table? How about a shot of servers passing around the cake pops? Or a bride taking her first bite of your cake? Even the maids of honor picking up the cake before they have their fancy dresses on. It all adds to the connection you build with your customer. If they see other weddings or special events you’ve helped make perfect thanks to a beautiful cake, they’ll want you at theirs.
We hope this critique helps not only Kelly but that you get excited about cleaning up your site and ramping up your sales. Please let us know below if this critique helped you with your site!
Want more? Check out our e-course Convert Your Creativity to learn how to increase your sales conversions and build a show that brings in the money you want.